Stupid Easy Breakfast Ideas
Is breakfast the most important meal of the day?
In a word…
The total quality of your food consumption throughout the day (and week/months) is what matters, this cannot be isolated to one meal being more important than another.
Having said this, there are generally two types of people; those that can go without breakfast and abstain from overeating later in the day and successfully avoiding the 3pm sugar crash or those that can not and struggle to hit protein targets at the best of times.
If you find yourself in the later group, it might be time to revisit what you are eating for breakfast.
There are lots of benefits of eating a wholesome protein rich breakfast!
- Increase thermic effect and satiety: Research suggest consuming more of your calories earlier in the day can be a way to feel more satiated later in the day. Calories consumed earlier may also have a higher thermic effect too.
- Supports stable blood sugars – Starting your day with a high protein breakfast could be a great way to allow you to become more insulin sensitive and keep your blood sugar levels more stable throughout the day.
- Additional protein feeding window: a fit and active person should be consuming at least 1.5- 2g of protein per body weight per day. Skipping breakfast or having a low protein breakfast will decrease your chances of hitting your target. Protein is best consumed throughout the day (rather than in 1-2 large sittings). This will help to optimise amino acid levels, ‘switch on’ muscle growth and repair and absorb what it can before during the digestive process.
The following recipes are STUPID easy to make, can be made ahead of time and are stacked with protein… so there are no excuses not to start your day well.
Chia Pudding- Serves 3
Calories: 288/ Fat: 13g/ CHO: 26g/ Protein: 13g
- 2 cups Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup sugar free maple syrup
Method: Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stir until combined. Pour into 4 jars and refrigerate overnight. Sprinkle with cinnamon and berries to serve.
Blackberries Baked Oatmeal- Serves- 4
Calories 465/ Fats 10g/ CHO 47g/ Protein 33g
- 8 egg whites
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp salt ¾ baking powder
- 2 cups quick oats
- 4 scoops of whey protein powder or pea protein powder
- 1 cup blackberries
- 2-4 tsp stevia
- ½ tsp cinnamon
Method: Preheat oven to 180 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, beat together all ingredients. Pour mixture into a greased 23 x 23 pan. Bake until firm 35-45 minutes
Green Dream Smoothie
Calories 412/ Fat 11g/ CHO 52g/ Protein 31g
- 2 cups spinach
- 250ml milk of choice
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ chia seeds
- 1 kiwi Fruit
- 1 scoop vanilla whey
Method: Place in whizz and enjoy!
Baked Mini Frittata- Serves 3
Calories 469/ Fat 29g/ CHO 17g/ Protein 33g
- 300g mushrooms washed and sliced
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 45g parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup crumbled Feta Cheese
- 3 thinly-sliced green onions
- 9 eggs, beaten
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Spray tart pan or 6 Jumbo Muffin Cups with non-stick spray.
- Slice mushrooms into thick slices and cook for a couple of minutes until soft and browned.
- Crumble the feta cheese and thinly slice the green onions. Layer the parmesan, feta, and green onions on top of the mushrooms.
- Beat the eggs with Spike Seasoning and black pepper and divide eggs among the tart pan wells or muffin cups. Take a fork and gently “stir” the mixture so all the other ingredients are coated with egg.
- Bake the mini-frittatas about 25 minutes, or until they are set and lightly browned on top.
Want more easy to make recipes? Checkout our top protein pancake recipes here.
Ange Drake is an personal trainer, women’s empowerment coach and fitness blogger in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. She is the director of one of the few womens’ only strength training gyms in Melbourne, 23W. Ange helps women to learn how to use strength based training, nutritional strategies and a positive mindset to transform their bodies, relationship with food and mind.
Your fitness style
Can’t decide which of our packages is best suited for you? Take our questionnaire to help you decide!